Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Virgin A Day: My Prayer to the Immaculate Heart of Mary




image found here

Trying to modify my attitude
while changing the date once again
for the Christmas gathering of my family.
Thoughts of “Why am I always the one 
who needs to accommodate others’ plans? 
Why can’t we have a tradition set in stone 
so I don’t go through this each year?”
Frustration layers upon resentment 
till I just want to go to bed 
and stay there till the onset of the new year.
Then I gaze upon your face, sweet Mother, 
and I ponder your long journey to Bethlehem
while being heavily laden with your divine Babe.
Your Immaculate Heart overcame
any questions concerning the reason
for this journey of 80 miles,
just to be counted for the greedy King 
and his tax-filled purse.

I ask your intercession now, Holy Mother, 
to help me remember that there are 12 days of Christmas,
not just the eve of Christmas and your birthday on the 25th, 
and to ask your Son to send me the grace
in order that our family’s Christmas get-together
will be filled with thoughts 
of the reason for the celebration-
Jesus’ birth and our gratitude for your “yes.”





8 comments:

  1. very nice ponderings; happy you stopped over at my blog

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is a beautiful prayer. Her heart just wants to console yours I know. May you receive that grace needed God speed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone has such high expectations for the holidays and it sounds like you are the one who accommodates the family, but you pay a price for it. I like your prayer to Our Lady and your willingness to turn it over to her. That will help to lower your own expectations hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard to be at the whims of change and to not have set patterns... I cling to some of these structures some times, and have such a hard time letting go... I think in your prayer that act of surrender to life all the while staying true to yourself, is the greatest love that we can give to ourselves... I too ask for this grace, to be true to my heart and the courage to follow where I am being led...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a feeling that the answer to your prayer is already taking shape!

    Three Virtues

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing is perfect, nor is there ever a perfect date that works for everyone-remember that you need to love yourself as you love others. I always find lessons of humility in situations like this-our ability to accept ourselves as less than perfect is often the heart of the conflict. Once I accept that I am not perfect and be OK with it, only then can I move on with peace in my heart. Trying to accommodate everyone is trying to be perfect, isn't it? Rhetorical question, of course. Your introspection is admirable!

    ReplyDelete

Bless you for your comments.