Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas 2004: Our Last Christmas Together

my husband Charles
  Not known to us,
this was to be our last Christmas.
Would we have done anything differently?
I think not.
We celebrated Christmas with all the bells and whistles,
shiny ornaments on the tree, 
lots of them homemade by family; 
many were gifts from my students over the years.
Tons of gifts stacked beneath the tree for all our loved ones.
Of course, the genuine celebration of Christmas began
with Christmas Eve Mass.  
When Charles and I were much younger,
the children and I went to midnight Mass.  
But as the years flew by, 
my energy didn’t last long enough for that. 
Beginning with the new millennium, 
our Christmas started with opening gifts on Christmas Eve, 
then our going to 5:30 p.m. Mass. 
From there, our children and their families headed for home.

I hope that I’m not seeming maudlin sharing this, 
but it seems that no matter how much time has passed 
since my husband died, 
that warm memories of our special times together 
creep to the forefront of my brain.  

Nonnie

5 comments:

  1. No, it does not sound too maudlin - it's good to have beautiful memories. This warm us for a long time and no one can take away.
    Have a blessed and bright time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mascha, for your understanding. may the holy Light of Jesus shine upon you and your family.

      Delete
  2. You have these warm memories to hold onto. Love never leaves the heart. Thanks for sharing , I hope your Christmas is blessed this year with new and loving memories. Sending Christmas Eve prayers to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, dear Sandi! I appreciate your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love is forever.
    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Bless you for your comments.